"kids don't go outside anymore" challenge
name 3 things kids can do outside that are free and available to everyone without grownups hassling then or thinking they're doing crimes
@InternetEh "They could like, hang out at the mall like we used to."
The Malls: *closed, closed, mosquito tone generator, closed, mosquito tone generator, closed*
@InternetEh also, "adult supervision" gets enforced more and more. Cars have become a hazard so much more and take up so much more space than they used to when I was a kid (I'm gen-x, I was a kid in the 80s).
My mom (born in the 50s) tells me stories of how she used to spend much of her ample free time with kids from her block, and how the older kids basically supervised/took care of the younger ones.
@InternetEh was gonna suggest "get shot by cops" as a joke, but you already mentioned that in the 2nd post
@hoppet used to be malls, but those died. And the ones that are left will likely run you off if you're not spending money
@InternetEh i think i might have been part of the first generation it was like that for because growing up media was all like "yeah teens are hanging out at malls" and then when i became a teen it was like "wow this sucks"
@InternetEh hmmm what about
*points at skate park in Duisburg that the mayor had covered in gravel because kids where there, you know, outside, despite corona*
oh, maybe not that, hmmm
@meena @InternetEh They build skateparks to be able to say you've got somewhere to go, so they can fully ban skaters and BMXers from the streets (no matter how small and crap the park is), and then do shit like this...
Skateboarders will never be safe there again because you'll never remove all the pebbles...
That's why they put the skate stopper edges on (yeah, those pointy edge things aren't always anti homeless, sometimes they're anti skateboard too)
BMXers then get shit for fucking up skateparks too!
@InternetEh true! I live in a downtown inner city area, and I suspect grownups hassle the kids here!
@InternetEh Well, you can still take a bus to somewhere a bit further. If you live edge of town then there's plenty of freedom. Not that I disagree with the argument. I think it's about the location.
I used to dig underground hideouts in the forest, go spelunking in the creek tunnels, use the public playgrounds/obstacle courses.
Depends on age I guess.
Now I'm older so "be in the forests" is enough.
@InternetEh @mwlucas @owl We used to fly kites in the fields behind the last houses of the village, halfway up the hill to the forest. Or we rode our bikes or played at the playground. There was a „tree house“, actually only a few trees on a steep slope with an old car wheel on a steel rope as a swing in there. The „tree house“ was also fun in winter to slide down the snowy uneven ground on old plastic bags.
@viennawriter @InternetEh @mwlucas @owl I live in a city, which is quite green, and even though we're 1 km from the center, there's a semi-wild forest/”park” a few minutes away from us. I've seen treehouses there.
And of course there's the lake right across the street, fishing in it is legal and I see both kids and adults doing it quite often.
Casual cycling around the streets or trails is always a good choice too. My favorite pastime as a kid.
All these are legal and freely available.
when i was younger, fences weren't an issue, or they were a challenge
but I'm now like, i wanna get *there*, and to do that, i have to walk 800 m more, or look like a lunatic jumping over 2.20 m fence.
I'm a respectable partent now!
i can't go doing that!
at least not every day, or somebody will make them put spikes on top
Tresspassing in Detroit is actively dangerous.
The rest of Michigan dumps their severe & persistent mentally ill folks in the city. 99% of them are harmless, if occasionally scary, and if approached either flee or ask for $. The other 1% are... not.
Plus the danger of abandoned & broken structures.
When I trespass or explore, I bring $5 bills to hand out. It'll buy a sandwich.
I would not let a child explore this city unaccompanied.
@InternetEh Storytime then! Me and friends age 8-12, steal shit from shops all the time. Free. go to edge of town, break in places. Free place. Needed cash? Put one coin in phonebooth, hit while it drops, wait for people to put cash in, wait for them to leave in disappointment, hit phone hard, lots of free cash. ... Oh wait... Well, go for walks? Are we talking about teenagers?
@InternetEh Well, damn, fuck me. I am thinking hard... Did it really get this bad? You really got to be creative these days.
@richard yeah you do. And you're at the mercy of police, city ordinances, small business tyrants, nosy neighbors and other parents' hangups. Kids gotta run that neoliberal gauntlet right out of the womb
dads.cool is a Mastodon instance for dads, running the Hometown fork of Mastodon.